The Wellington Health Care Alliance is comprised of three, rural, acute care hospitals: Groves Memorial Community Hospital in Fergus, and North Wellington Health Care, with hospital sites in Mount Forest (Louise Marshall Hospital) and Palmerston (Palmerston and District Hospital). Each hospital provides a comprehensive range of surgical, inpatient and outpatient services; including 24/7 emergency and obstetrical care. WHCA is an administrative alliance that was formed to provide a strong, consistent voice for rural health care. We value the strength we have with our health care partners across the Waterloo-Wellington region.
Introducing our Alliance Logo
About the design:
Louise Marshall Hospital
The Louise Marshall Hospital is a community hospital operating 15 inpatient beds serving the health care needs of the Wellington North catchment area. Located in the town of Mount Forest, our fully accredited hospital offers a range of primary and secondary services including 24-hour emergency services, inpatient and outpatient care, specialist clinics and supportive diagnostic services.
The hospital has an active staff of seven family physicians as well as consulting staff in General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Radiology, Anesthesiology, Pathology, Obstetrics and Gynecology.
History of Louise Marshall Hospital
Dr. A.R. Perry purchased the home of Alex Martin on the corner of Dublin and Princess Street in Mount Forest and established Strathcona Hospital, a 10-bed private hospital. In 1923, a group of citizens headed by G.L. Allen changed Strathcona Hospital into a public hospital. Wentworth Marshall, a local pharmacist, generously bought the hospital from Perry. Marshall’s mother, Louise, was the supervisor at the hospital until she became ill with cancer. It was closed in 1921, but a year later was reopened under a new name, Mount Forest General Hospital. In 1928, the Deed of the Hospital was turned over to the town and the name was changed yet again to Louise Marshall Hospital in honour of Marshall’s mother.
Our vision: Rooted in Wellness - Growing Together - Cultivating Health
Our mission: Together, elevating quality to achieve excellent care, empowering all to thrive on our journey to wellness
Our values: Teamwork, Respect, Accountability, Compassion, Kindness
Palmerston and District Hospital
The Palmerston and District Hospital is a community hospital operating 15 inpatient beds serving the health care needs of the Minto-Mapleton catchment area. Located in the town of Palmerston, our fully accredited hospital offers a range of primary and secondary services including 24 hour emergency services, inpatient and outpatient care, specialist clinics and supportive diagnostic services.
The hospital has an active staff complement of nine family practitioners as well as consulting staff in General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Radiology, Anesthesiology, Pathology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics and ENT.
History of Palmerston and District Hospital
Since 1908, when a private hospital was founded by Registered Nurse Miss Carrie McGee, and Practical Nurse Miss Margaret McGee in the former Mrs. J.R. Hamilton home, there has been a hospital in Palmerston.
There have been changes over the years – of ownership – in 1927 the hospital was purchased by the town and established as Palmerston General Hospital. There have also been site changes; in 1916, the hospital moved to the former Presbyterian Manse, and in 1927 it moved to the location now occupied by the Wellington Court Apartments to accommodate increased activity. There have been expansions; in 1938, and in 1955. The largest change occurred in 1967 when the new hospital was built in its present location on White’s Road.
The hospital’s name was subsequently changed to Palmerston & District Hospital to recognize the increased patient care offered to the surrounding areas. In 1975 an ambulance service was added and this service was largely staffed by volunteers! In 1981, a large addition was built to house the new Emergency, Surgical Recovery, Radiology, Outpatient & Community Service Departments. Since then, the X-Ray, Physiotherapy, Lab, and Emergency Departments have been updated.
President and CEO
- Together, empowering a meaningful patient journey
- Together, advancing a culture of team wellness
- Together, nurturing our Alliance ecosystem
- Together, enriching partnerships and growing community relationships