Palmerston and District Hospital
The Palmerston and District Hospital is a community hospital operating 15 inpatient beds serving the health care needs of approximately 15,000 people within the hospital's catchment area. Located in the Town of Palmerston, our fully accredited hospital offers a range of primary and secondary services including 24 hour emergency services, inpatient and outpatient care, specialist clinics and supportive diagnostic services. The hospital has an active staff complement of nine Family Practitioners as well as consulting staff in General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Radiology, Anesthesiology, Pathology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics and ENT.
History of Palmerston and District Hospital
Since 1908, when a private hospital was founded by Registered Nurse Miss Carrie McGee, and Practical Nurse Miss Margaret McGee in the former Mrs. J.R. Hamilton home, there has been a hospital in Palmerston.
There have been changes over the years – of ownership – in 1927 the hospital was purchased by the town and established as Palmerston General Hospital. There have also been site changes; in 1916, the hospital moved to the former Presbyterian Manse, and in 1927 it moved to the location now occupied by the Wellington Court Apartments to accommodate increased activity. There have been expansions; in 1938, and in 1955. The largest change occurred in 1967 when the new hospital was built in its present location on Whites Road.
The hospital’s name was subsequently changed to Palmerston & District Hospital to recognize the increased patient care offered to the surrounding areas. In 1975 an ambulance service was added and this service was largely staffed by volunteers! In 1981, a large addition was built to house the new Emergency, Surgical Recovery, Radiology, Outpatient & Community Service Departments. Since then, the X-Ray, Physiotherapy, Lab, and Emergency Departments have been updated.